The Oriskany Independent Fire & Hose Company, Inc. celebrated 112 years of service in 2012.
June 15, 1900 the fire company was established and was provided with some items from the Town of Whitestown to go into service. Such items included 1,000 feet of hose, 2 hose carts, 4 brass pipes (smooth bore nozzles), 2 lanterns, 2 hose wrenches, 2 crowbars, and 2 axes. Even today, the original purpose still stands...protecting themselves, their communities, and helping the less fortunate. Over the years, members of this fire company not only served in the various wars, conflicts and other unfortunate situations throughout the world, but have also helped to build the community. Even though the fire departments main focus was fire suppression, it still found time for the area that needed it. The times have changed, but the memories are still there. We alute our fallen brothers every year with a memorial service, we hold open houses for the public to get to know us a little better, and we reminisce about some of the old days. Through out the years, the fire company has tried many things in attempts to raise money for equipment and various other items. Many people still remember some of the field days, parades, barnyard bingos, car washes, dances, and never-ending raffles.
By training our members to the highest standards, we are efficient and effective in providing fire suppression, first aid, life safety education, and various other services.
Our original equipment is no longer in the firehouse, and even the firehouse has changed. Originally located almost directly across the street, the old fire station is now occupied by one of the village business. The new firestation was built in 1968 and houses most of our equipment, offices, training/municipal room, police station, and village board office.